Fedmine Case Study
Project: Well Architected Review
Fedmine.US (Fedmine) was founded by a Veteran small business owner to help potential contractors better navigate the government contracting process. Fedmine's platform automatically pulls from the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS-NG) and other government sources in real time, empowering federal agencies, prime contractors, and growth support providers to slice, dice, and analyze the Fedmine data for quick action.
Today, their product is the only one on the market that satisfies the broadest possible needs of the federal market, and that offers real-time data via a SaaS delivery model (Software-as-a-Service). Fedmine.us is also the largest library of aggregated federal data sets on the Internet.
The sensitive nature of their data required Eplexity to address the best possible outcomes for delivering a secure, optimized, and managed solution in Amazon Web Services (AWS) GovCloud. The resulting effort meant that Eplexity would provide:
- Well-Architected Review of current standards primarily focused on Security, Cost Optimization, and Operational Excellence.
- Delivery of a Landing Zone in AWS GovCloud.
At the initial onset, Eplexity was engaged with Fedmine to provide the initial review and assessment of their managed AWS environment against Well-Architected framework. Given the nature of their work in dealing with sensitive data supporting Federal Agencies and Prime Contractors, Eplexity architected the new Fedmine Landing Zone within the AWS GovCloud offering. While the architecting the Fedmine solution in AWS GovCloud would help meet specific compliance objectives, migrating to the CXOS Landing Zone solution would ensure continuous management by CXOS Mission Control to satisfy requirements related to Security and Operational Excellence objectives.
Over the course of a six-week period, Eplexity DevOps engineers tailored the CXOS Landing Zone for the Fedmine team to address:
- The management of cost and usage by implementing Cloud Financial Management supported by CXOS Mission Control.
- Security of their workloads through a WAR-ready Landing Zone in AWS GovCloud.
- Continuous management of the AWS environment supported by CXOS Mission Control.
The WAR helped architect the landing zone in AWS GovCloud.
CXOS ensured continuous management of the AWS environment.
CXOS was tailored to meet all security requirements and operational excellence objectives.
Fedmine looked to further bolster their accolades within the Federal space by improving compliance objectives to meet internal OKRs. Eplexity was able to kickstart this initial effort by establishing the baseline assessment according to industry best practices, namely the Well-Architected Tool. This established the necessary focus for prioritizing the remediation efforts and resulting in:
- Dedicated and secured Landing Zone in the AWS GovCloud at 10% cost reduction.
- Implementation of 24/7 security and incident management from 100% AWS certified and US-based CXOS Mission Control unit.
- Decreased number of risk issues to the tune of 30% and creation of remediation roadmap.